Wrestlers “get much better” at Rumble on the Red
The Rugby Panther wrestlers stayed ahead of a blizzard and several competitors to place near the top of two weight classes at the Rumble on the Red, held at the Fargo Dome in Fargo last weekend.
Panther coach Craig Zachmeier told the Tribune the team participated at the junior varsity level for the tournament.
“Kids were put in JV, which is still tougher than all the rest of the Class B tourneys we go to,” Zachmeier explained in a text message.
The Rumble featured “large brackets, 40-60 kids,” Zachmeier added. “We needed to work on some stuff in live matches and that was the reason for entering everyone in JV. The kids need more mat time.”
More than fifty high schools from North Dakota and Minnesota competed in the event.
Zachmeier said he thought the “Rumble went well. We got much better.”
Wrestling mom Maribel Odden, whose son Riley placed fourth in the 138-pound division, said the Panthers “made it home” before a powerful blizzard hit Fargo, closing Interstates 94 and 29 and stranding several motorists.
Riley Odden reached the quarterfinals for his division after defeating Bradley Stienebauch of the United Clay Becker (Minn.) Badgers and Garret Nelson of Andover (Minn) by fall. Odden also defeated Aiden Micholski of Foley, Minn., and Gavin Willis, Waconia, Minn. by fall before falling in the semifinals to Alex Scheffler of New Prague, Minn. Odden placed fourth after Carver Rohman of Fairmont-Martin County West (Minn.) took third place by an 8-3 decision.
Brady Volk wrestled his way to the first place match for the 160-pound division after defeating Bismarck Century’s Jaxson Parlett by fall, and defeating Minnesota participant James Lehn (St. Francis) by a 5-1 decision. Volk defeated Dylan Heiderscheidt, Medford (Minn.) and Donald McKenzie of Henry Sibley High School (Minn.) by fall before taking second to champion Cole Han-Lindemyer of Farmington, Minn. by 11-9 decision.
Other results for the Panthers were:
– Bryson Amyotte, 113-pound division, fall to Logan Weininger (Carrington); defeated by Gavin Bartel (Bryon, Minn, 12-2 major decision).
– John Jundt, 126-pound division, win by fall over Braeden Arduser (Jackson Count Central, Minn); defeated by 4-2 decision against Juan Flores (Bismarck); won by fall over Brett Rossow (Jackson County Central, Minn); won by 3-2 decision over Nick Hamak (St. Cloud Tech, Minn); won by 5-2 major decision over Andrew Boyum, (Jackson County Central, Minn); fell to Joseph Mulstein (Mounds View, Minn) in consolation round.
– Brenden Kleespie, 126-pound division, fall to Isaac Mitchell (Bismarck Legacy); fall to Kyler Benson, (Foley, Minn).
– Cole Anderson, fall to Caden Ruhoff, (Foley, Minn.); fall to Hunter Floerchinger (Coon Rapids, Minn.).
– Bailey Zachmeier, 138-pound division, fall to Hayden Workman, (Aitkin, Minn.); defeat to Will Dianna (Eden Prairie, Minn.) by 9-1 major decision.
– Isaac Christenson, 152-pound division, fall to Eric Einck (White Bear Lake Area, Minn.); won by fall over Frank Schwartzentruber (Byron, Minn.); won by 9-2 decision over Braden Johnson (Minneota, Minn.); won by 9-8 over Nick Howe (Woodbury, Minn.); fall to Haakon Peterson (Moorhead, Minn.).
– Landon Zietz, 285-pound division, fall to Jayden Gamrak (Minneota, Minn.); fall to Carter Geerts (Byron, Minn.).
Please Enter Your Facebook App ID. Required for FB Comments. Click here for FB Comments Settings page