Area youngsters win at Pitch Hit and Run
On Saturday, May 5th the Rugby Jaycees sponsored a free Scotts Major League Baseball Pitch, Hit and Run training for Rugby’s kids at the Rugby Recreation Complex. Area youth showed up to have individual instruction from local coordinator James Childress.
The wind did not cooperate, but the kids struggled through learning a lesson in foot placement while pitching. It was evident from the beginning that the training was very useful. Several boys showed almost instant improvement in their pitching, by placing one foot straight ahead at the home base.
“Wow, I never had anyone tell me that before,” said Risovi, “did you see how good it was?”
Childress said “there were no boys attending at the youngest level, but the nine and ten year olds had a good turn out with Jove Risovi from that group winning the overall championship.
Boys and girls now have the chance to advance through four levels of competition, including Team Championships at Major League ballparks and the National Finals during the 2018 MLB All-Star week. The individual champions, along with the all around in each age division will be awarded and advance to the sectional level of the competition.
Childress said, ” the kids really showed improvement and the parents were in agreement.”
Pitch Hit & Run results
9-10 Year Olds
– Overall Champ: Jove Risovi
– Pitching Champ: Hudson Hager, Nathan Childress, Keifer Fritz, Oliver Sveet, Jove Risovi, and Alex Kraft (tie)
– Hitting Champ: Alex Kraft
– Running Champ: Hudson Hager
11-12 Year Olds
– Overall Champ: Taytum Risovi
– Pitching Champ: Taytum Risovi
– Hitting Champ: Taytum Risovi
– Running Champ: Taytum Risovi
13-14 Year Olds
– Overall Champ: Jacob Ripplinger
– Pitching Champ: Jacob Ripplinger
– Hitting Champ: Jacob Ripplinger
– Running Champ: Kristian Fritz