Braves snatch lead from Panthers
The Rugby Panthers had the lead for more than half of the penultimate game of the 2017-18 season.
But midway into the fourth quarter, the Bottineau Braves would turn what was a bad snap for the Panthers’ punting unit into a safety to get their first points of the game. Later junior quarterback Ethan Hahn found classmate and wideout Bailey Burcham for the touchdown that tilted things in the Braves’ favor. The Braves won 8-6.
The Panthers were able to score first in the opening quarter, with Kaden Jaeger capping a drive witth a two-yard run.
The Panthers ended the regular season on the road yesterday against the Harvey-Wells County Hornets.
Region at a glance
-The Carrington Cardinals demolished the Park River Area Aggies, 34-8, last week.
– The Hornets defeated the Westhope-Newburg-Glenburn Sioux, 48-12.
– The Langdon Area-Munich Cardinals shut down the Central Dakota Titans, 56-0.
9-man football roundup
The first round off playoffs has been announced, and two teams in Region 4 have first round byes.
– The No. 2-seed St. John Woodchucks will get a breather until Oct. 21, when they will play the winner of a first round matchup between Shiloh Christian and Surrey.
St. John shut down the Benson County Wildcats, 52-0, last week in Leeds.
– The No. 1-seed North Prairie Cougars will have to wait and see whether they play Ray-Powers Lake or Mott-Regent-New England next weekend.
The Cougars come fresh off a 48-20 victory at home against Larimore.
– The North Star Bearcats, the fourth seed in the region, take on Region 6’s No. 2-seed Divide County today at 2 p.m. The winner of that game will go on to play Region 5 top seed New Salem-Glen Ullin.
The Bearcats got trounced, 38-8, last week in a home game against the Towner-Granville-Upham Titans.
– Speaking of the Titans, they are in Beach today in a battle of three seeds. The winner will take on Mohall-Lansford-Sherwood.
The winners of the semifinal round on Nov. 4 will play at the Dakota Bowl in the Fargodome. The 9-man game will take place at 9:10 a.m. on Nov. 10.
Please Enter Your Facebook App ID. Required for FB Comments. Click here for FB Comments Settings page