homepage logo

FOOTBALL: Panthers fall, 39-18, to Sioux

By Staff | Oct 6, 2017

Lori Gronvold for the Tribune Kaden Jaeger is on the move during a home game last week.

In the final home football game of the season for the Rugby Panthers, the penalty bug reared its ugly head.

The bug bit the Panthers initially during their first possession, sending them back five yards and forcing them to punt.

After the Westhope-Newburg-Glenburn Sioux got the ball for their first possession, the penalty bug bit the Panthers again, giving the Sioux five yards on an encroachment penalty.

The bug would bite the Panthers for a third time in the first quarter, sending them back 10 yards on a holding penalty while still in Sioux territory. And then the bug bit the Sioux, giving the Panthers a gift on a roughing the passer penalty as well as first and goal. Quarterback Kevin Vetsch and runner Kaden Jaeger then shortened the distance to the goal line, allowing for Vetsch to find sophomore wideout Jaden Hamilton for the first score of the game.

Then came the Sioux.

After setting up shop at their own 40-yard line, quarterback Trent Marquart proved to be a threat on the ground and in the air. With a run from him, the Sioux got deep into Panther territory. After two short bursts, one that was negated by a false start, Marquart found wide receiver Logan Lamoureux near the Panthers’ five yard line. Sophomore runner Andrew Schalesky carried the ball the rest of the way for the Sioux’s response. Marquart then put the ball through the uprights, allowing the Sioux to take their first lead of the game.

Vetsch’s brother Keith, a sophomore running back, then had the Panthers’ rebuttal, allowing them to take back the lead for the rest of the quarter.

In the second quarter, the Sioux were able to convert on 3rd down at the start.

Then the penalty bug bit again with three consecutive false start penalties on the Sioux, sending them to their own 42-yard line. Marquart twice tried to find Lamoureux on pass attempts, but both wound up incomplete. Then the Sioux had a fourth false start penalty in a span of 40 seconds, forcing them to punt.

The ensuing possession for the Panthers ended with them punting as well.

A costly personal foul allowed the Sioux to get into Panther territory. Schalesky would later get his second score of the game.

The Sioux would get the ball back later on a fumble recovery. Marquart would take the ball deeper and deeper into Panther territory, capping the drive on a 14-yard keeper.

After that, the Panthers had a response, with Kevin Vetsch connecting with Landen Foster on a 60-yard pass for their third score of the game.

The Sioux would score another touchdown to end the first half.

The penalty bug wasn’t done yet.

The Sioux would get three gift penalties on the Panther defense, starting with a pass interference call, followed later by an encroachment call. The Sioux would then have a 1st and goal situation due to a roughing the passer call on the Panther defense. Schalesky then ended the drive on a 9-yard run.

Marquart put up the final points of the game minutes into the fourth quarter on a 10-yard keeper.

The Panthers played in Bottineau last night and finish the regular season on the road in Harvey.

Please Enter Your Facebook App ID. Required for FB Comments. Click here for FB Comments Settings page