KAYLOR: 25 healthy snacks for kids
When a snack attack strikes, refuel with these nutrition-packed snacks.
Easy, Tasty (and Healthy) Snacks
You may need an adult to help with some of these snacks.
1. Parfait: Layer vanilla yogurt and mandarin oranges or blueberries in a tall glass. Top with a sprinkle of granola.
2. Inside-Out Sandwich: Spread mustard on a slice of deli turkey. Wrap around a
3. Rocky Road: Break a graham cracker into bite-size pieces. Add to low-fat chocolate pudding along with a few miniature marshmallows.
4. Mini Pizza: Toast an English muffin, drizzle with pizza sauce and sprinkle with low-fat mozzarella cheese.
5. Spread mustard on a flour tortilla. Top with a slice of turkey or ham, low-fat cheese and lettuce. Then roll it up.
6. Sandwich Cut-Outs: Make a sandwich on whole grain bread. Cut out your favorite shape using a big cookie cutter. Eat the fun shape and the edges, too!
7. Banana Split: Top a banana with low-fat vanilla and strawberry frozen yogurt. Sprinkle with your favorite whole-grain cereal.
8. Apple Pie Oatmeal: Make one packet of microwave oatmeal with low-fat milk. Mix in 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce. Sprinkle with apple pie spice or cinnamon.
9. Mix together peanut butter and cornflakes in a bowl. Shape into balls and roll in crushed graham crackers.
10. Microwave a cup of tomato or vegetable soup and enjoy with whole-grain crackers.
11. Fill a waffle cone with cut-up fruit and top with low-fat vanilla yogurt.
12. Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese on hot popcorn.
13. Peel a banana and dip it in yogurt. Roll in crushed cereal and freeze.
14. Spread celery sticks with peanut butter or low-fat cream cheese. Top with raisins.
15. Stuff a whole-grain pita pocket with ricotta cheese and Granny Smith apple slices. Add a dash of cinnamon.
16. Mix together ready-to-eat cereal, dried fruit and nuts in a sandwich bag for an on-the-go snack.
17. Smear a scoop of frozen yogurt on two graham crackers and add sliced banana to make a yummy sandwich.
18. Microwave a small baked potato. Top with reduced-fat cheddar cheese and salsa.
19. Make snack kabobs. Put cubes of low-fat cheese and grapes on pretzel sticks.
20. Toast a whole-grain waffle and top with low-fat yogurt and peaches.
21. Mix together low-fat cream cheese, mixed dried fruit bits and shelled sunflower seeds. Spread on a toasted English muffin.
22. Blend low-fat milk, frozen strawberries and a banana for thirty seconds for a delicious smoothie.
23. Make a mini-sandwich with tuna or egg salad on a dinner roll.
24. Sprinkle grated Monterey Jack cheese over a corn tortilla; fold in half and microwave for twenty seconds. Top with salsa.
25. Spread peanut butter on apple slices.
Dip it! Bonus Snacks
– Dip baby carrots and cherry tomatoes in low-fat ranch dressing.
– Dip strawberries or apple slices in low-fat yogurt.
– Dip pretzels in mustard.
– Dip pita chips in hummus.
– Dip graham crackers in applesauce.
– Dip baked tortilla chips in bean dip.
– Dip animal crackers in low-fat pudding.
– Dip bread sticks in salsa.
– Dip a granola bar in low-fat yogurt.
– Dip mini-toaster waffles in cinnamon applesauce.
Find more healthy eating tips at: www.kidseatright.org; www.eatright.org/nutritiontipsheets
From: Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics staff registered dietitian nutritionists
Sources: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, ADA Complete Food & Nutrition Guide
Please Enter Your Facebook App ID. Required for FB Comments. Click here for FB Comments Settings page