Mavec: My New Year’s Resolutions
I have never been one to make New Year Resolutions. Mostly because I know I probably won’t stick to any. I usually just make it a point to better myself from one year to the next, which I think happens as we grow older anyway.
This year, however, I have decided to try out the whole New Year Resolution thing. It is officially the first year of my adulthood, and I think it’s important to do some things to celebrate that.
So here is the list I have come up with of things I want to accomplish in 2017:
1. Save money. With graduation came student loans, A LOT of student loans. In 2017, I would like to have enough money to make my monthly payments with ease. Budgeting is about to become my new hobby.
2. Talk to my family more. I have a bad habit of texting when I want to communicate, something I think my generation struggles with. In 2017, I want to get better at calling my family when I want to talk with them.
3. Lose weight. Ah, probably the most popular New Year Resolution of all time. Self explanatory and definitely possible, if I can give up my junk food indulgences.
4. Travel. Not being in school means having more time on the weekends to do what I want to do. Living in a new state and an entirely new side of the country, I would love to explore what my surroundings hold.
5. Pray. I am a Christian, which is a huge part of who I am. However, in my busy day-to-day schedule, I often forget to talk with God until I’m lying in bed falling asleep. Even then, I usually slip into dreamland before I can finish praying. This year, I want to make more time to work on my relationship with God.
6. Sleep. Something I have never been good at is getting enough rest. I’m a night owl, which often means staying up until 2 or 3 in the morning and then struggling to wake up at 8 a.m. for work. My goal this year is to be in bed at a decent hour.
7. Read. When I was younger, I loved to read. I wouldn’t go anywhere without a book, usually reading a few in a week. College made me read books for grades, not for fun. Now that homework is nonexistent, I want to get back to reading for pleasure.
8. Volunteer. In a community driven by volunteering, I want to get involved.
I’m sure there are many more things I want to do this year, but these are just a few I have really been contemplating on. Happy New Year, everyone!
Mavec is a reporter for The Tribune.
Please Enter Your Facebook App ID. Required for FB Comments. Click here for FB Comments Settings page