Fire, water damage leaves Rugby family homeless
A Rugby family was left homeless after a fire in a residential section of Rugby the evening of Friday, Dec. 4.
The fire, described as “minor” by Rugby Volunteer Fire Department Chief Derek Bush, broke out just after 9 p.m. in the 300 block of Fourth Street Southeast.
Bush said the property sustained “mainly just water damage. It started in the attic. We don’t really know (the cause) yet. It was probably electrical, but we’re not 100 percent sure.”
Bush said the fire would probably be investigated by the state fire marshal.
“It looked accidental,” he said of the fire. “It was one of those deals that happens.”
“We at the fire department put (the home’s occupants) up at the Northern Lights Inn that night,” Bush noted. “I don’t know from there what happened. The Salvation Army was going to help them.”
Bush said he was glad the fire department got to the scene of the fire quickly.
“It stayed in the attic,” he said of the fire. “We got it knocked down soon enough so it didn’t exit the building.”
Emily Aaker, who lived in the home with her family, said they were displaced by the fire and had to move to Minnesota with other family members.
“We would have stayed in Rugby, but we had nowhere to go and didn’t have the money for an apartment,” Aaker said via message to the Tribune.
“The landlord said it would be three weeks or longer until we could move back in, but being jobless in Minnesota is going to be hard to save up to move back.”
Aaker added, “We have a 2 ¢ year old and I am pregnant with our second kid. We were taking care of a 15-year-old. We had a dog that we were forced to get rid of and a cat and a hamster. We also had a $200 turtle that died because its habitat was close to all the smoke.”
Please Enter Your Facebook App ID. Required for FB Comments. Click here for FB Comments Settings page