School board approves 2020-21 calendar
Next year, classes for Rugby public school students will start Aug. 20, 2020 and the last day will be May 26, 2021.
Those start dates, plus six scheduled professional learning days, one “flex day” and three days labeled “school holidays” were approved by the Rugby Public School District No. 5 Board of Education during a regular meeting Tuesday morning at Rugby High School.
New teacher orientation is slated for Aug. 18, 2020, and professional learning days are slated for Aug. 19, Sept. 23, Oct. 28, Dec. 2, 2020, and Jan. 18 and Feb. 24, 2021. April 21 is listed as a “flex day” that can be used for professional learning, storm or as an instructional day. No school will be held for students on professional learning days.
Both Ely Elementary and Rugby High School will hold joint parent-teacher conferences on Oct. 19 and 20, 2020 and will hold separate parent-teacher conferences in 2021. Ely’s conferences will be held Feb. 1 and 2, and the high school’s will be held March 22 and 23. All conferences will be scheduled from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Feb. 19, March 5 and 19, 2021 are all considered “storm days”. No school will also be held on Sept. 7 (Labor Day), Oct. 22, Oct. 23 (Educator Conventions), Nov. 11 (Veteran’s Day), Nov. 26 (Thanksgiving), and Nov. 27, 2020 and Jan. 18, 2021 (Martin Luther King Day).
Dec. 22, 2020 will be the last day of school before holiday break, and classes resume Jan. 4, 2021.
Rugby High School graduation will be slated for Sunday, May 30, 2021.
Depending on the use of the “flex day”, students will receive 173-174 days of classroom instruction, and staff will receive six to seven days of professional development.
– The board met with Technology Director Jennifer Zachmeier to discuss the technology report.
– The board discussed health insurance consortiums.
– The board approved changes to the district’s 403b plan.
– The board approved a 4.14 percent increase for contracts for administrative and ancillary staff.
– The board approved the results of an evaluation for Superintendent Mike McNeff.
– The board approved the consent agenda, which included February meeting minutes, bills, financial statements and a resignation for art instructor Stephanie Skeen.
Please Enter Your Facebook App ID. Required for FB Comments. Click here for FB Comments Settings page