Towner Presbyterian celebrates 125 years
The Towner Presbyterian Church will celebrate 125 years on July 29, 2018 from 2:00 to 4:00 pm. The afteroon will begin with a short service at 2:00 pm followed by refreshments in the church basement.
In 1893, 150 settlers of Towner gathered to organize a church. It was the first church in Towner and was rented by several other denominations. The fee for these services werer 35 cents for a morning service and 65 cents for an evening service. The Articles of Incorporation were signed on July 6, 1983. Nearly 14 months later the church building, which cost $1,700.00 was dedicated debt free.
In the years that followed, a basement was dug for a kitchen and dining area. A new concrete floor with the flooring was completed in 1961 and later the tile was replaced with a carpet. The bathroom has also been refurbished. In 1961 new chancel furniture was ordered. In the years that followed new siding was added to the building, a carillon placed in the bell tower, two chairlifts were installed to make it handicap accessible and in 1992 a Rogers organ was purchased from a bequest and memorial funds. Beautiful stained glass windows, memorials for deceased members grace the sanctuary. A new furnace was installed in 2017.
In preparation for the quasquicentennial celebration, sidewalk improvements were made, old plaster cracks sealed and the entire sanctuary and entrance to the church received a new coat of paint.
The church meets weekly at 9:30 am with the Rev. Don Andrews, a retired Methodist minister from Minot, leading the congregation. The Presbyterian Women meet on the second Wednesday of each month with mission projects and Bible study.
– Article submitted by the Mouse River Journal
Please Enter Your Facebook App ID. Required for FB Comments. Click here for FB Comments Settings page