School board denies softball addition
Softball will not be added to the list of spring sports programs at Rugby High School.
In a meeting of the Rugby Public School District No. 5 Board of Education Tuesday morning, the board voted 3-1 against approving a motion to add softball. Board member Dustin Hager made the motion and was also the only vote in favor.
Superintendent Mike McNeff explained that the Activities Committee recommended a “yes” vote on the addition. McNeff also said that while he was trying to be impartial, the addition of softball could increase involvement in “a population of kids” that were not previously involved in spring activities. Board member Shane Livedalen disagreed.
Board member Brenda Heilman asked how the addition would impact the budget; whether or not the board could set funding limits; and what the board could do in the event of budgetary deficits.
Vice President Carlie Johnson asked if the board would want to put participation fees in place. Heilman said she felt participation fees would be a deterrent.
Board President Kris Blessum expressed concerns about adding an activity when the money could be used elsewhere.
In the roll call vote, Johnson, Livedalen and Heilman all voted “no.”
– The board approved hot lunch prices for the 2018-19 school year, which remain unchanged from the previous year. Elementary student rates will be $1.95 for breakfast and $2.55 for lunch; junior and senior high school student rates will be $1.95 for breakfast and $2.65 for lunch; for adults it will be $2.55/$3.30 for staff members and $2.55/$4.30 for guests. Milk ticket costs for milk breaks will be $9.00 with a charge of $0.45 for seconds or individual cartons.
– The board approved athletic admission rates for the 2018-19 school year, which remain unchanged from the previous year. For a single game the cost of admission will be $6 for adults and $4 for students. Season pass rates also remained unchanged. For football the costs are $18 for adults, $8 for students and $45 for families. Volleyball, boys and girls basketball each have the same rate at $27 for adults, $14 for students and $80 for families. For a wrestling season pass the cost is $15 for adults, $8 for students and $50 for families. A season pass for all athletic activities costs $110 for adults, $50 for students and $185 for families.
– The board approved enrollment and transportation reports to be sent to the N.D. Department of Public Instruction.
– The board approved district membership in the N.D. School Boards Association and Policy Services; the N.D. School Study Council; N.D. Small Organized Schools; the Rugby Chamber of Commerce; the North Central Education Cooperative and the Central Dakota Distance Learning Consortium.
– The board approved the consent agenda, which included June meeting minutes; bills; financials; and a contract approval for Glenda Mack for vocal music instruction.
– The board re-elected Blessum as president and Johnson as vice-president.
Please Enter Your Facebook App ID. Required for FB Comments. Click here for FB Comments Settings page