Visitor restrictions in place at HAMC, Haaland Estates
Heart of America Medical Center has placed Visitor Restrictions Due to influenza.
Because of recently identified cases of Influenza in the community, HAMC and the Haaland Estates are restricting visitors to all areas of the facility, effective immediately. No visitors are currently permitted in Acute Care, Swing Bed, the Care Center, or the Haaland Estates until further notice.
“We realize that visitor restrictions create an inconvenience. However, it is imperative to take these steps for the health and safety of our patients, residents, staff members, and the entire community.” States Mary Haugen, RN; Infection Prevention Nurse at HAMC.
According to the North Dakota Department of Health, flu viruses spread mainly by droplets made when people with flu cough, sneeze or talk. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby. A person might also get influenza by touching a surface or object that has flu virus on it and then touching their own mouth, eyes or possibly their nose.
How long is someone contagious if they have the flu?
You may be able to pass the flu to someone else before you know you are sick, as well as while you are sick. Most healthy adults may be able to infect others beginning 1 day before symptoms develop and up to 5 to 7 days after becoming sick. Some people, especially young children and people with weakened immune symptoms, might be able to infect others for an even longer time.
Remember these basic infection control measures:
– Practice and encourage hand hygiene; using soap and water or hand sanitizer.
– Cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze.
– Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces in your home.
– Stay home if you are ill. Do not go to work, go shopping, attend public events, do not allow your children to attend school or day care. Flu symptoms include fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose, headache, body aches. Seek medical advice if necessary.
– Any patients coming to the Emergency Room or the Heart of America Johnson Clinic(s) for an evaluation and/or treatment of flu-like symptoms are asked to put on a mask when coming into these areas. Masks are available at the facility entrances.
If you have questions regarding these restrictions please contact the particular unit you wish to visit or contact Mary Haugen at 776.5261.
Please Enter Your Facebook App ID. Required for FB Comments. Click here for FB Comments Settings page