HACTC sees fifth month of profitability
May was another profitable month for the Heart of America Correctional & Treatment Center.
HACTC Administrator Mike Graner informed the Pierce County Board of County Commissioners Wednesday morning that the profit for May was $24,307.04. To date, fiscal year 2017 has been profitable for the facility at over $115,000 in profits.
“It’s a good first five months,” Graner said.
In May the average daily population at HACTC was 116 inmates; there were 93 bookings that month.
Graner informed the board that training costs are expected to increase in the future, as the state Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation is no longer providing basic training for corrections officers.
Graner also informed the board that new jails opening in Bottineau and Ward counties may impact HACTC financially. When the new jails open, HACTC expects to lose an estimated $52,492 per month in revenue. In FY2017 the facility has received an average of $11,979.60 per month in boarding fees from Bottineau County and $40,513.20 per month from Ward County.
In a related motion, the board approved an increase in boarding fees for Pierce County inmates from $55 to $65 per day after Graner said the board should consider a cost increase for the 2018 budget.
Normally held on the first Tuesday of each month, the board’s regular meeting was held Wednesday due to the July 4 holiday.
– The board approved an abatement application for Rodney Calkins.
– The board approved a payment of $7,635 from the 2014 Disaster Fund to Juniata Township.
– The board met with Jim Zacher and Lance Alexander for an annual meeting of the County Park Board.
– The board approved appointing Aaron Bryn and re-appointing Mark Koenig and Joe Fritel to the County Weed Board. The board also reappointed Dave Migler and Joe Bohl to the Social Service board.
– The board approved a transfer of $100,000 from the Highway Distribution Fund to the Road & Bridge Fund.
– The board approved June meeting minutes, bills and financial statements and treasurer’s checks.
Please Enter Your Facebook App ID. Required for FB Comments. Click here for FB Comments Settings page