County, townships to discuss road closures
Due to excessive snow from winter storms, the Board of County Commissioners and representatives from organized townships began talks on snow removal options.
On Wednesday morning, one item on the table was rural road closures due to excess snowfall.
Farm-to-market, mail and bus routes would be priorities for snow removal efforts. However, Commission Chairman Dave Migler warned that drivers may only have one-way access in some areas of the county.
“Drive at your own risk,” Migler said.
A suggestion was made by an attendee that townships could do their own main roads and close extraneous roads to allow county bladers to get around easier. Another attendee said that half of the rural roads near Jefferson Township had been shut down already.
The board approved a motion to also hire CTI and area contractors Amos Grove, Steve Jacobson (B&J Excavating), Doug Schneider (Schneider Custom Hauling) and Jim Burckhard to assist in county snow removal efforts.
Representatives came from Elling, Elverum, Reno Valley, Tuscarora, Balta and Alexanter townships.
The county board and townships are expected to meet Tuesday, Jan. 10, at 1 p.m. at the Memorial Hall.
– The board approved a 2 percent increase per acre in agricultural land valuations for 2017.
– The board approved abatement requests for 2015 and 2016 tax years for Leo Hoffert, as the property the southern half of lot 3 block 5 in Southview Estates qualifies for Homestead Credit.
– Sheriff Josh Siegler informed the board that dispatch received 19 calls in December; and that the population to date at the Heart of America Correctional & Treatment Center is at 119 inmates. Siegler also said that in November HACTC had a profit of $37,160.62 and the year-to-date profit was over $142,000.
– The board approved a pledge of assets from Merchants, Bremer and Ramsey banks.
– The board approved amendments to the 2016 Budget.
– The board approved December meeting minutes, bills, financial statements and treasurer’s checks.
Please Enter Your Facebook App ID. Required for FB Comments. Click here for FB Comments Settings page