American Cancer Society Seeks Teams for Pierce County Relay for Life
The American Cancer Society is recruiting teams from businesses, schools, families, places of worship, and more to participate in the Relay For Life of Pierce County, which will be held Friday June 5th, 2015 at Johnsen Field in Rugby. Relay For Life teams are committed to finishing the fight against cancer and raise funds to support the American Cancer Society’s lifesaving mission. Teams and individuals can sign up for the Relay For Life event by visiting or by calling 701-776-5935.
Nowhere else can you make the greatest impact in the fight to end cancer than when you raise funds for the American Cancer Society through a Relay For Life event in your community. Nearly 4,000 people (more than 5% of the state’s population) in North Dakota will be diagnosed with cancer this year.
- The Society is committed to saving lives from cancer and your support means you are helping us do just that. Together we are saving 500 lives a day that would have otherwise been lost to cancer.
- Your participation and fundraising will help us find cancer’s causes and cures through groundbreaking research like targeted therapies and personalized medicine that will tailor treatments to the unique characteristics of each person.
- Your Relay For Life donations and fundraising are helping us find new ways to prevent cancer or find it at its earliest, most treatable stage and help people take steps to stay healthy. Did you know that if 80% of all people over the age of 50 are screened for colon cancer by 2018, it will prevent more than 200,000 deaths from colon cancer?
- Every year, we help more than one million people via phone, email, or online chat; more than 1,000 calls come from your friends and family throughout North Dakota. By calling 1-800-227-2345, our trained cancer information specialists are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to answer questions and connect cancer patients and caregivers with the resources they need.
- The Society helps cancer patients access treatment. Our lodging program and 31 Hope Lodge communities across the US and in Puerto Rico provide reduce cost or free lodging for cancer patients and caregivers who have to travel far away from home for treatment.
- Due in part to your participation in Relay For Life, the Society’s Road To Recovery and transport programs help cancer patients get to their medical appointments and treatments.
- Your donations are helping fight cancer through public policy with our nonpartisan advocacy affiliate, the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network SM (ACS CAN). ACS CAN worked with North Dakota’s state legislators to pass a law assuring consistency in health benefits coverage for both intravenous (IV) and oral anticancer medications. Cancer patients shouldn’t have to pay more for the same treatment in a convenient pill form.
The Relay For Life program is a community-based event where teams and individuals set up campsites at a school, park or fairground and take turns walking or running around a track or path. Each team has at least one participant on the track at all times. Cancer survivors and caregivers take a celebratory first lap to start each event. Four million people participated in more than 6,000 events worldwide in 2014. Last year, over 300people participated in Rugby NDand raised $45,000all to support the Society’s mission to finish the fight against cancer once and for all.
“The Relay For Life movement unites communities across the globe to celebrate people who have battled cancer, remember loved ones lost, and take action to finish the fight once and for all,” said Larae Senechal, Rugby volunteer Relay For Life event lead. “Many participants are our family, friends, and neighbors who have faced cancer themselves. Each new team that registers brings us one step closer to saving more lives.”
– Pierce County Relay for Life
Please Enter Your Facebook App ID. Required for FB Comments. Click here for FB Comments Settings page