×
×
homepage logo

District 11 Tournament Update

By Staff | Mar 1, 2015

MONDAY TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE

Regional qualifier: Bottineau Braves vs TGU Titans, 4 p.m.

Regional qualifier: Westhope-Newburg Sioux vs. Sawyer Flashes, 5:30 p.m.

Championship: Rugby Panthers vs. Drake-Anamoose Raiders, 7 p.m.

(Results to be included in the March 7 edition of the Tribune)

TITANS FALL TO RAIDERS, 60-50

In a matchup for a championship berth in the second round of District 11 tournament play at the Charles Hanneman Gymnasium in Rugby, the Drake-Anamoose Raiders overcame the TGU Titans, 60-50.

According to head coach Doug Martin, the Raiders had previously been plagued by four on their roster sitting out for six weeks due to injuries and by their field goal percentages.

But on Saturday night, the Raiders took the lead, opening with a huge three from sophomore Brett Filler. The first points for the Titans then came when senior Eli Luna passed to Kolter Schell after forcing a turnover.

The Raiders defense was able to limit the Titans to low scoring first and second quarters both at nine points each and upheld a 31-18 lead to end the half. The Titans came alive in the third, with Luna, senior Colter Thorp and junior Evan Burckhard each putting up a three, while both Schell and Thorp were able to get inside.

While both teams were capable from outside, the Raiders had a height advantage.

“We pretty much looked to Lee Reinowski for outside shooting and for (Cordell) Volson to get inside,” Martin said.

The Titans were looking to shut down Volson, a 6-6 junior. However it was Reinowski, a 6-2 junior, who led the way in scoring with 21 points on the evening for the Raiders.

“We penetrated, we attacked the basket but just not enough,” TGU coach Mike Corum said. “Drake’s a good team, they played really well.”

Other score leaders for the Raiders included Pete Buri, whose nine points all came from outside; Austin Schatz 8, Filler 7 and Trey Windish 7.

Luna led in scoring for the Titans, scoring 13 of his 23 points in the 4th quarter. Also scoring for the Titans were Thorp 8, Taylor Bailey 6, Burckhard 3 and Cole Bethke 2.

OTHER ROUND 2 ACTION

After falling to the Flashes in a close 82-80 game, the Braves advance to the regional qualification round after a second round bye.

The Sioux defeated the Velva Aggies, 50-46, a chance to qualify for the Region 6 Tournament, which will be held March 9,10 and 12 in Minot.

After a first round bye, the No.1-seed Rugby Panthers defeated the Flashes, 78-44, in regulation (gamer pending).

Bryce Berginski, Tribune Reporter

Please Enter Your Facebook App ID. Required for FB Comments. Click here for FB Comments Settings page